Chaos Crew

Chaos Crew

Friday, December 3, 2010

Should I stay or should I go now?

Skye and I qualified for the 2011 AKC National Agility Championships that are going to be held in Lexington, Virginia in April. I've been debating with myself if I want to make the commitment to drive all that way. It's 1500 miles away.

The Pros:
Skye has been running great lately - fast and motivated, and we have been very consistent. He got his MACH this year.
He's in him prime, age-wise.
Qualifying is not easy, so who knows if we will qualify for the following year's Nationals.
You never know what next year could bring - dogs get injured, etc. Hate to have regrets that I 'should have gone'.

The Cons:
It's really far away - almost 3 days drive each way, plus 3 days for the event. It will end up being very expensive for 5 runs. (Skye is NOT flying!)
We did not have a good Nationals experience this year - Skye was stressed and then I was stressed. Many popped weave poles.
Katrina did not qualify with Baby, so not sure she would even want to go.
Skye is not fast enough to be really competitive - so best we could hope for is probably a top 30 finish if we ran clean.
Likely not a lot of Colorado people going since it is so far.
Have to drive across Kansas ! LOL

SO, lots to think about. The event opened for entry Dec. 1st, and will close on Jan 19th.


Jackie said...

Man, that's a tough one. It'll be interesting to hear what you decide to do. Where is it in 2012?

kiwichick said...

I say go for it. You can take a lap top and work on the road. I think I would go if I qualified.

Greg S said...

I dont think we will find out where the 2012 Nationals will be until the 2011 Nationals are over - they typically announce the location at the event.
This year I was qualified by the end of July, but last year it took me until the final weekend of the qualifying period. Maybe that says we are more prepared for it this time?