Chaos Crew

Chaos Crew

Friday, May 1, 2009

Lets see if it holds up...

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and nice comments on Skye's failed NQ weekend. It's appreciated!

Because of the contact issues I have mentioned in my previous posts, I have gone back to a 2on 2off for Skye's dogwalk (at least for now!). We have been practicing it this week, and I have an AKC trial this weekend, so I'll see if it holds up.
In practice, when I tell him Touch, he does a nice job of sticking it.

Up until probably 5 or 6 months ago, we would train a 2o2o in practice, but I would let him early release at a trial, since I could never get the correct 2o2o behavior in a trial. I know that its my fault, for not enforcing it during a run, probably because of the adrenaline of the run, wanting to finish it, the money it costs (especially for AKC), etc. I've decided that if he launches the dogwalk, I will down him and we will end the run. But... will I do it...
If he hits the yellow, who am I kidding, I will just continue, even if it looked a bit "launchy".

Though I really dont do much NADAC or DOCNA, those venues are really great for letting you go back and train an obstacle like the Dogwalk, but since I prefer the tighter, more handling intensive courses from AKC and USDAA, I don't want to get Skye used to the wide open running found in the NADAC and DOCNA courses.

Our club is hosting a DOCNA trial on Memorial day weekend, so I intend to take that opportunity to do some contact training in a trial environment if he doesn't meet criteria. There is a NADAC trial locally in June in a nice park that may be worth entering for some ring training as well.

2 comments:

kiwichick said...

Good Luck. One of the hardest things to do is maintain criteria especially if something isn't black and white when they do something wrong. I.E. standing on the startline when you say sit (ahem... I have decided to let him(Rift) choose what he wants to do and as long as he stays I will keep going) I don't want to fight him every run. :-) Good Luck this weekend.

Nicki said...

I love the flow of NADAC courses where the dog can open up and run but hate the ultra complicated ever changing way that venue is set up. I like the AKC's program for the most part and there are so many more trials that we mostly run that venue.